Thursday, May 29, 2008

Reason #435 Why Trends Are Retarded

Where Some See Fashion, Others See Politics

Some notable quotes:

“That’s so cheap of Urban, a PR gambit,” she said. “But I think it’s great that this controversy will get kids to start learning about it.”

“I’m not too up to speed in what’s going on in the Middle East,” said Liz Chernett, a strategic consultant in branding and a youth trends expert who bought a kaffiyeh from a vendor on St. Mark’s Place three months ago. “It’s an aesthetic thing.”

One of the main reasons I don't keep up with fashion anymore is because it has been gutted of all it's meaning and significance; because of the proliferation of the internet, trends die as fast as they are created with nothing to show for other than a bloated clearance rack and random encounters with girls all wearing the same thing at different times. What ISN'T cheap of Urban-- from the overseas origins of their products to the 'individualist' image they sell in droves. How ironic it is to critique such a company of spitting out a PR gambit when the very women that wear these scarves make the excuse, 'Don't blame me for not keeping up with world issues! I was just following along because It's an aesthetic thing.'

I would throw the keffiyeh in with leggings, babydoll dresses, and anything/everything stilleto-heeled & metallic-- not necessarily because these things are now worn by everyone and their grandmother, but because there is far more to clothing than what is sold in (both cheap and expensive) stores. Nothing is esoteric anymore in fashion because the internet duplicates trends faster than Michael Keaton in Multiplicity-- with a mentally retarded off-product always being thrown in the mix.

/END RANDOM FASHION RANT


Addendum: "... I'm not really interested in being on the best-dressed list. I like to be on the worst dressed too. It's a fantastic place to be, and I'm in good company if I'm there. I think they know the adventure of dressing, and I'm not concerned about what's going to make me be considered fashionable. The people I admire, such as John Galliano and Jean Paul Gaultier, are eccentrics. And they aren't trying to be like everyone else. We have a lot in common that way, and we know that what makes us different is what makes us good.

I see women on the street and one of the things that inspires me is when I see someone who has blue eye shadow on and you can tell she's been wearing her makeup the same way since 1965. I'm inspired by women who have held on to their look they know themselves, and they wear what they want to wear despite what fashion dictates.

- Dita Von Teese

1 Comments:

Blogger becky imbecile said...

If you want to get into semantics over the issue, I used the word 'retarded' in terms of hindering or regressing the meaning of fashion.

I appreciate you voicing your misinterpretation about my blog post heading as a slur against mentally handicapped people-- but seriously, there are far more worse things said on the internet that are actually directed prejudice against people. Go discipline them with your opinions on the formality and appropriate use of language.

Also, was your comment verbatim from something? I swore I've read a pamphlet that said your exact same words.

12:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home